Permanent residence permit (PRP) is a document according to which a foreigner is granted not only the right to legally stay and reside in Belarus, but also to participate in all spheres of life on an equal basis with the citizens of the country.

After obtaining a PRP a foreign citizen acquires the following rights:

  • implementation of real estate transactions (rent, purchase of an apartment, etc.)
  • the ability to change your place of residence within the country at your own request
  • free employment in any city and town of the republic
  • receiving pension and social security
  • to travel abroad and to return freely
  • to get an education
  • receiving medical care and other services

Remember that PRP is not citizenship, and it does not give the right:

  • to participate in voting and elections, be elected to the posts of local self-government bodies (except for citizens of the Russian Federation)
  • to own a land plot


RP can be obtained by foreigners who have one of the following adequate grounds for it:

  • 5 (five) years of continuous residence in Belarus;
  • marriage to a citizen of Belarus;
  • if you have refugee status or asylum in Belarus;
  • investing in objects of investment activity of Belarus;
  • if you have close relatives among Belarusian citizens permanently residing in Belarus
  • and other grounds in accordance with the legislation of the Republic of Belarus.


! Citizens of the Russian Federation have the right to obtain a PRP without any special grounds (in accordance with interstate agreements between Belarus and Russia)

— To obtain a PRP, you need to contact the Department of Citizenship and Migration at the place of your intended residence and clarify the list of required documents.

—  The processing of documents for obtaining a PRP takes from 1 to 6 months.

— The first PRP is usually issued for 2 years. In the future, you can extend it for 5 (five) more years.


(useful tips for international students)

A job can be found at the National Job Bank at or at other relevant Internet resources, in print media.


The issue of employment is regulated by the Law of the Republic of Belarus "On External Labor Migration". It is important to know the following points:

age: from 18 years old and above;

international tertiary students seeking employment in their specialties!!! do not need a work permit (you can work on an equal basis with Belarusian students);

foreign citizens are given the right to pursue employment in the acquired profession without obtaining a special work permit within 1 year after receiving a diploma.

In general, the legal status of foreign workers is defined in the Law “On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens and Stateless Persons in the Republic of Belarus”.



You must obtain a special work permit or permanent residence permit to be able to continue working in a year after graduation (after five years of continuous residence in Belarus, you can apply for permanent residence). In the first case, it is necessary to conclude an employment contract (a civil law contract is not suitable). Citizens of Armenia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Russia can work without a special work permit (in accordance with intergovernmental agreements between Belarus and the listed states).



If you do not fit into any of the above categories, you will need to go through the procedure for obtaining a special work permit. Your employer is to obtain a work permit for you, and to make an employment contract for a period specified in the permit. Special work permits are issued by specialized Departments of citizenship and migration.



Work permit for a foreign citizen is usually issued for a period of 1 year; in rare cases - for 2 years (for highly qualified specialists). If you are willing to continue working, the employer should receive/prolong the special permit again.

If you are faced with a violation of labor rights by the employer, be sure to contact the Department of State Labor Inspection of the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of the Republic of Belarus with a written appeal (+375173064117) or to make a court claim at the employer's location with a statement of claim.