The Department of Biological Chemistry at the Grodno State Medical Institute was established in 1959. From 1959 to 1975 the Department was located in the 1 Karla Marxa street (now it is in the Anatomy Building of the University). On February, 1975 the Department moved into the Administration Building of the University.
Academician Yu. M. Ostrovsky, a member of the Belorussian Academy of Sciences, played a great role in forming the Staff of the Department. He was the Head of the Department from 1959 to 1975.
From 1975 to 1997 the Head of the Department was Prof. N. K. Lukashik.
Since 1997 till present the Head of the Department is Prof. V. V. Lelevich.
In 1959-1982 the subjects taught at the Department were Medical Biochemistry and Physical & Colloidal Chemistry. In 1982-1987 Bioorganic Chemistry was taught. Since 1987 to date the subject taught at the Department is called “Biological chemistry”.